THE ULTIMATE HOME BUYING TIPS FOR FIRST TIME HOMEOWNERS
There is no secret home buyer handshake or key to a successful first home; it takes work and experience. That’s why many people fall back on the experience and home buying tips of those who have previously purchased a home or enlist the help of real estate agents. Usually, these tips for a first home purchase come from a combination of friends, family, and outside resources. Collecting advice from one single source never quite feels like enough; it’s a huge decision!
Our first home buying tip is to consider the advice you’re given but ultimately trust yourself. There’s a first time for everything, and there might be a few mistakes or bumps in the road. However, you are ultimately the one who needs to be comfortable making the final decision.Ignore the urgings of your friends who want you to buy and your financial advisor who tells you that it’s better to put equity into something rather than rent. Buy when you are ready.
Other Home Buying Tips
Most likely, you’ve landed on this page because you are seeking a little more insight than the advice given above. If that’s the case, read on for eight more home buying tips that’ll help your home ownership process go more smoothly.
1. Research Online - Around 80% of home searches begin on the internet, and for good reason! When you’re looking for your first home, you might not know where to start. Luckily, there are dozens to hundreds of listings at a click of your mouse. Real estate listings online allow you to view a variety of homes and neighbourhoods to discover your preferences. It’s okay not to know when you begin! By the time you’ve looked through the masses of listings, you’ll have a much better idea and be able to communicate better to your real estate agent.
2. Eat Before Touring - Consuming carbs has been shown to improve memory retention and critical thinking, both of which are necessary when you tour homes to make such a big decision. This is a lesser known home buying tip that can make a huge difference in staying positive and thoughtful during the whole process.
3. Limit Your Day - At most, tour 10 homes in a single day. Even that might be pushing it a little. Your brain can only digest so much new information, and you’re more likely to get overwhelmed the more you see. If you need to, create a top 3 list after the day ends and consider touring them again with fewer choices in the mix.
4. Bring a Camera - It’s important to document your tours visually. This will aide your decision, especially if you only tour houses once each week for several weeks. It’s also beneficial in case you want to ask family or friends to help with the decision.
5. Take Notes - Jot down important or unique features to identify each house after visiting. In addition, rate each property on a 1-10 scale for comparison.
6. Utilize Agent Expertise - Shh - this home buying tip is an industry secret! The majority of real estate agents instinctively know which house a homeowner will choose. While it’s not good for an agent to steer a buyer toward any one option, they can help point out features and flaws that you might otherwise miss. Ask for their professional opinion.
7. Be Ready to Jump - Once your mortgage loan is approved and your agent has shown you the house of your dreams, be prepared to sign the paperwork. Unlike retail purchases that can be bought weeks or months later, a typical house will be off the market within a month (and you might be seeing it three weeks in). That time is much shorter when it’s a good deal!
8. Brace for an Emotional Decision - Buying a home is an emotional process. You put your heart out there in an attempt to find a space to call your own and potentially raise a family. When you see a wonderful option and the cost is only slightly above your budget, it’s easy to get carried away and buy big. But the budget is there for a reason, and you’ll be much happier finding a house you can afford.
A List of Home Buying Tips Wouldn’t Be Complete Without…Home insurance! You need to invest in proper insurance to protect your new investment. Now that you’ve been through these tips for home buyers and found a haven to call your own, trust Higgins Insurance to ensure that your new home is properly covered. We are fair, ethical, and on your side. Call a representative today at 1-866-273-2911.